Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a minimum order?
Can you ship my order or must I pick it up?
If we have the items in stock, we would be more than happy to ship your order via UPS if we receive the order by 2:30pm. Orders received after 2:30pm will ship the next day. Shipping charges are additional.
What brand gel do you sell?
We stock Roscolux, Rosco CineGel, Rosco E-Colour, Gam, and Lee. We do not stock Apollo gel, but we can order it (minimum 5 sheets per color).
How is gel sold?
Gel is sold by the sheet or roll. We try to keep most colors in stock in sheets. Rolls we will have to order.
What size sheets/rolls does gel come in?
Rosco and Gam gel sheets are 20”x24”. Rolls are 24”x50’, except Cinigel & E-Colour which are 48”x25’. Lee gel sheets are 21”x24”. Standard rolls are 48”x25’ (custom sizes are available). High Temp Lee gel sheets are 22”x21” and rolls are 46”x13’.
What is a gobo?
A gobo is a piece of steel or glass inserted into an ellipsoidal or appropriate moving light unit in order to project a pattern or logo. There are many different stock options or you can design your own custom gobo.
What gobo brands do you keep in stock?
We do not keep any gobos in stock. We can however order any gobo you choose from Apollo, Gam or Rosco in any size you need.
Where can I find a list of available gobos?
You can see all of the gobos offered by the above manufacturers on their websites. www.rosco.com/gobos/index.cfm or http://internetapollo.com/Products/Pages/Gobos.aspx
What is a custom gobo?
A custom gobo can be anything you want it to be. Names, pictures, logos, the sky is the limit. There are several different varieties: Steel, Black & White Glass, 2 Color Glass, Full Color Glass.
The most basic and least expensive of these is Steel. Steel gobos are just like a stencil. This means that closed letters such as O or B will have small lines in them to hold them together. Steel is best for simpler gobos such as text or outlines.
The next level in gobos is Black & White glass. B&W glass gobos are best for when you have an intricate design that would be too much for a steel gobo, but you do not need it to have color.
After B&W glass is 2 Color glass. Something to remember is that in gobos, BLACK is ALWAYS a color. So 2 colors would be Black/Red/White. Remember, you will almost always want a black background on your gobo, otherwise you will be projecting a big white circle with a washed out design.The best quality gobo is a Full Color glass gobo. This gobo can be as intricate and have as many colors as your imagination will allow.
What is the time line for ordering a custom gobo?
For Steel lead time is 2 days + shipping time (orders placed before 2pm, today counts as day 1.)
For Black & White or 2 Color Glass, lead time is 3 days + shipping time (orders places before 2pm, today counts as day 1.)
For Full Color Glass, lead time is 5 days + shipping time (orders placed before 2pm, today counts as day 1.)Lead times can be shortened but RUSH charges will apply.
What do I need to provide to you to order a custom gobo?
In order to create your custom gobo we will need the following information:
- Your artwork. ALPS does not have the capability to design or edit artwork, it must be provided to us in a useable format. Artwork can be e-mailed to us in any of the following formats: jpg, pdf, eps, ai. Artwork must be of good quality, minimum of 150dpi for steel and 800dpi for full color glass.
- Your need by date. What is the date you absolutely must have this gobo in hand for your event?
- How many gobos are you looking for? Just the original or do you need duplicates as well?
- What size gobo do you need? This does not mean how big do you want it to project, but what size gobo does the lighting unit you are using take. If you are unsure, just let us know what unit you are using and we can generally find out the gobo size for you.
- Your shipping address. We cannot ship to PO Boxes, we must have an actual street address to ship to.
- Payment method. ALPS accepts; cash, checks, AMEX, MC, VISA & DISCOVER.
Do you stock lamps?
Yes. We stock many of the most popular theatrical lamps. If we don’t have it we will do our best to find it for you.
Do you stock accessories and tools?
Yes, clamps, color frames, gobo holders, safeties, tape, tieline, tools, gloves, littlites, just ask.
Hours & Shipping
ALPS Office Hours
Monday – Friday
9:00AM – 6:00PM
Can’t make it to our office to pickup your order? We can also ship via UPS or FedEx.